SubjectRe: kgdb for mainline kernel: core-lite [patch 1/3]
Date
On Tuesday 09 Mar 2004 3:45 am, George Anzinger wrote:
> Amit S. Kale wrote:
> >>
> >>argh, disaster. I discussed this with Tom a week or so ago when it
> >> looked like this it was being chopped out and I recall being told that
> >> the discussion was referring to something else.
> >>
> >>Ho-hum, sorry. Can we please put this back in?
> >
> > Err., well this is one of the particularly dirty parts of kgdb. That's
> > why it's been kept away. It takes care of correct thread backtraces in
> > some rare cases.
> >
> > If you consider it an absolutely must, we can do something so that the
> > dirty part is kept away and info threads almost always works.
>
> Amit,
>
> I think we should just put the info threads in the core. No attempt to do
> any trace back from kgdb. Let them all show up in the switch code. I have
> a script (gdb macro) that will give a rather decent "info threads" display.
> Oh, we need to add one other responce to kgdb for the process info gdb
> command.

qfProcessInfo looks like a very useful command.

This is still a hack. These kinds of hacks are difficult to maintain over a
long time because they are based on undocumented information.

While setting up kgdb for the first time isn't easy, macros add to that
complexity.

Have you experienced "shakyness" of macros? I have used process information
macros at kgdb.sourceforge.net to display a "ps" command like output since
the days of 2.4.0. I had to change them 3-4 times till now because of kernel
structure changes. The "changing" part is typically a 2-3 hour regorous
exercise :-)

-Amit

> * This query allows the target stub to return an arbitrary string
> * (or strings) giving arbitrary information about the target process.
> * This is optional; the target stub isn't required to implement it.
> *
> * Syntax: qfProcessInfo request first string
> * qsProcessInfo request subsequent string
> * reply: 'O'<hex-encoded-string>
> * 'l' last reply (empty)
> */
> What we want here is the thread name.
>
> Here is the macro set:
>
> set var $low_sched=0
>
> define do_threads
> if (void)$low_sched==(void)0
> set_b
> end
> thread apply all do_th_lines
> end
>
> define do_th_lines
> set var $do_th_co=0
> while ($pc > $low_sched) && ($pc < $high_sched)
> up-silent
> set var $do_th_co=$do_th_co+1
> end
> if $do_th_co==0
> info remote-process
> bt
> else
> up-silent
> info remote-process
> down
> end
> end
>
> define set_b
> set var $low_sched=scheduling_functions_start_here
> set var $high_sched=scheduling_functions_end_here
> end
>

> ~

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:01    [W:0.119 / U:0.176 seconds]