SubjectRe: External kernel modules, second try
On Sun, Mar 07, 2004 at 05:45:22PM +0100, Andreas Gruenbacher wrote:
> All in all, in the end I changed my mind. I now think that it's better
> to build modules against a clean kernel source tree that additionally
> has the modversions file copied in. This already works when using O=.
> With the SUBDIRS= approach, the kernel source tree must include a few
> compiled files (scripts/ stuff), and it cannot be read-only.
>
> I'm still undecided whether it makes sense to disallow the SUBDIRS=
> approach completely and only allow building with O=. (Note that this
> doesn't change the modversion dump file argument.) When building with
> SUBDIRS=, you ideally want a (read-only) kernel source tree that can
> adapt to different configurations (e.g., by doing like this:
>
> make -C $KERNEL_SOURCE modules SUBDIRS=$PWD FLAVOR=bigsmp

This is already possible.
You can do:
make -C $KERNEL_SRC SUBDIRS=$PWD O=output-dir modules

or with my proposed syntax:
make -C $KERNEL_SRC M=$PWD O=output-dir

The files relevant for the module will be located in the $PWD dir, since
they use absolute paths.

> ), the default being the running kernel.

I do not want to have potentially distro specific solutions.
So it depends if we can find a solution that most will agree on.

Sam

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:01    [W:0.406 / U:0.016 seconds]