    SubjectRe: kernel 'simulator' and wave-form analysis tool?

    Richard B. Johnson wrote:

    > If you are making hardware that goes between the CPU and the
    > rest of the world, then you can keep track of anything that's
    > going on with some hardware-software combination, external
    > to the chip you are analyzing. These things exist and they
    > are called emulators, even though most don't emulate anything,
    > they use the real chip, but provide the physical and logical
    > connections to the user. However, in the case of an already-made
    > machine, you are limited in what you can do on the machine
    > with software. For instance, to trap every memory access, you
    > would need a trap-handler and set all the memory to trap
    > on an access. This would a bit hard to do within the kernel
    > because all the code on that page would trap as instructions
    > were fetched. So, some mere "hook" won't do it, you need
    > a kernel that executes a kernel and I think one for Linux
    > already exists. So, before you get too involved, you might
    > want to check that out.

    I must have been unclear. I was not suggesting adding hardware. I was
    suggesting that we could run Linux under Bochs, which is a software x86
    emulator. Being what it is, hooks can be added to track "cpu activity"
    is it occurs within the emulator. This is all a simulation. The key
    idea I was suggesting was to log processor activity (of the emulator)
    and develop a viewer program which would help people visualize the activity.

    Bochs already has hooks. I could write a logger and a viewer.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:01    [W:0.020 / U:1.324 seconds]