SubjectServer suddenly freezes but awakes upon SysRq!?
Hello

We have some problems with a server that started to suddenly freeze
every now and then which means that it does react to ping and tcp
connects but does not allow a login nor returns the shell or does syslog
write anything to disc or network.

Funnily it always immediately awakes when we presses 'AltGr+SysGr+h'
although a login on the console did not work before.

What could be the cause of this "sleep" mode if a sysrq ends it?
We noticed that at least 1-2 freezes occured right after accessing the
external usb2.0 backup harddrive.

The server is a dual-p3 with a 3ware ide-scsi RAID and very low load as
postfix+apache server.

bye,

-christian-

Some bits of the configuration:

CONFIG_MPENTIUMIII=y
CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G=y
# CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G is not set
CONFIG_HIGHMEM=y
CONFIG_HIGHIO=y
# CONFIG_MATH_EMULATION is not set
CONFIG_MTRR=y
CONFIG_SMP=y
CONFIG_NR_CPUS=32
# CONFIG_X86_NUMA is not set
# CONFIG_X86_TSC_DISABLE is not set
CONFIG_X86_TSC=y
CONFIG_HAVE_DEC_LOCK=y
#
# General setup
#
CONFIG_NET=y
CONFIG_X86_IO_APIC=y
CONFIG_X86_LOCAL_APIC=y
CONFIG_PCI=y
# CONFIG_PCI_GOBIOS is not set
# CONFIG_PCI_GODIRECT is not set
CONFIG_PCI_GOANY=y
CONFIG_PCI_BIOS=y
CONFIG_PCI_DIRECT=y
CONFIG_ISA=y
CONFIG_PCI_NAMES=y
# CONFIG_EISA is not set
# CONFIG_MCA is not set
CONFIG_HOTPLUG=y
# CONFIG_ACPI is not set
CONFIG_ACPI_BOOT=y
CONFIG_PNP=y
CONFIG_ISAPNP=m
CONFIG_DEBUG_STACKOVERFLOW=y
# CONFIG_DEBUG_HIGHMEM is not set
# CONFIG_DEBUG_SLAB is not set
# CONFIG_DEBUG_IOVIRT is not set
CONFIG_MAGIC_SYSRQ=y
# CONFIG_DEBUG_SPINLOCK is not set
# CONFIG_FRAME_POINTER is not set
CONFIG_LOG_BUF_SHIFT=0

--
Christian Hammers WESTEND GmbH | Internet-Business-Provider
Technik CISCO Systems Partner - Authorized Reseller