    SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] linux-libc-headers 2.6.3.0
    Mariusz Mazur wrote:
    > Parts of abi that are standardized
    > (http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007904975/ - this thing; check the
    > headers section), should be imho provided by C libs. These things do not
    > change (they can't or everything would blow up) and I see no reason why glibc
    > should rely on having additional headers available, just to do what it's
    > supposed to.

    And how do you propose to handle a kernel developer that wants to add a
    new feature (a scheduling class, for instance) and make it available to
    userspace apps?

    For the sched class example, the standard says, "Four scheduling
    policies are defined; others may be defined by the implementation." I
    would like to make it easy for kernel developers to extend the
    implementation and expose that to userspace.

    It would be nice to have apps be able to include <linux/sched.h> and get
    the *real* kernel sched.h userspace export. Then when I add
    SCHED_NEW_CLASS to the kernel, userspace can pick up the changes without
    me having to modify glibc headers as well.

    > As to linux-common linux-kernelonly and linux-userland headers (linux-common
    > used by both) - I just find it weird for userland to require kernel sources.
    > Linux is supposed to have stable abi.

    I would prefer to have the standard userspace kernel headers be owned by
    the kernel. If we do it right, we could go back to the days of the
    symlink to the headers of the real running kernel. As far as I can
    tell, that's the only way to avoid having to make changes in multiple
    places.

    Chris

    --
    Chris Friesen | MailStop: 043/33/F10