SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] kpatchup 0.02 kernel patching script
On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 09:22:02AM -0800, Dave Hansen wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-03-02 at 18:24, Matt Mackall wrote:
> > This is an alpha release for people to experiment with. Feedback and
> > patches encouraged. Grab your copy today at:
> First of all, very nice script.
> But, it doesn't look like it properly handles empty directories. I
> tried this command, this morning, and it blew up. I think it's because
> this directory is
> empty because of last night's 2.6.4-rc2 release. I don't grok python
> very well but is the "return p[-1]" there just to cause a fault like
> this? Would it be better if it just returned a "no version of that
> patch right now" message and exited nicely?

Python does a good job at falling over loudly whenever anything
unexpected happens. I hadn't noticed that the snapshot directory got
purged. Hmmm. The right thing is to make it fall back to checking old/
where the most recent -bk is to be found. Like this:

$ kpatchup -s 2.6-pre
$ kpatchup -s 2.6-bk

New version at

I've added a couple other niceties for scripting purposes: a -p option
which will report the "base" version for a given version, -m which
will parse Makefile and print the version therein.

> I think your script, combined with Rusty's latest-kernel-version could
> make me a very happy person.

I skimmed latest-kernel-version, is it doing something my -s option
doesn't do yet?

Matt Mackall : : Linux development and consulting

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:01    [W:0.082 / U:5.996 seconds]