    SubjectRe: route cache DoS testing and softirqs
    Andrea Arcangeli writes:

    > I see what's going on now, yes my patch cannot help. the workload is
    > simply generating too much hardirq load, and it's like if we don't use
    > softirq at all but that we process the packet inside the hardirq for
    > this matter. As far as RCU is concerned it's like if there a no softirq
    > at all but that we process everything in the hardirq.
    >
    > so what you're looking after is a new feature then:
    >
    > 1) rate limit the hardirqs
    > 2) rate limit only part of the irq load (i.e. the softirq, that's handy
    > since it's already splitted out) to scheduler-aware context (not
    > inside irq context anymore)
    > 3) stop processing packets in irqs in the first place (NAPI or similar)

    Hello!

    No Andrea it pure softirq workload. Interfaces runs with irq disabled
    at this load w. NAPI. Softirq's are run from spin_unlock_bh etc when
    doing route lookup and GC. And the more fine-grained locking we do the
    the more do_softirq's are run.

    Cheers.
    --ro

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:02    [W:4.038 / U:0.536 seconds]