    SubjectRe: 230-objrmap fixes for 2.6.3-mjb2

    --On Wednesday, March 03, 2004 19:51:22 +0100 Andrea Arcangeli
    <andrea@suse.de> wrote:

    > ok, you used PG_locked that already exists for another purpose so it was
    > not clear, another bitflag would be ok.

    I forgot PG_locked already existed :)

    > the main remaining issue to solve (and run at runtime) is the logic is
    > to keep this flag consistent with all vmas pointing to the page having
    > VM_LOCKED set. I'm not sure if it's worth it.

    That's been the main stumbling block to anyone actually trying it. It
    involves per-page housekeeping at every mlock() and every time a locked vma
    gets unmapped.

    > what we do in 2.4 and that works pretty well, that is simply to refile
    > pages into the active list if they're mlocked, so we don't waste too
    > much cpu on them since we don't analyze them too often. this should work
    > pretty well for everybody, or peraphs google may prefer to have a fully
    > consistent PG_mlocked.

    The point would be to have a way of finding and skipping the locked page
    before we go look up the vmas for it. 2.4 doesn't have that problem
    because it's working from the vma.

    Dave McCracken

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:01    [W:0.021 / U:1.080 seconds]