    SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] linux-libc-headers
    On Monday 01 of March 2004 19:10, Krzysztof Halasa wrote:
    > Not sure about it being "official".
    > It may make sense if it's a distribution - many users don't install
    > kernel sources. Still, from a technical point of view, it should be
    > a straight copy of kernel includes - we don't want to maintain two
    > separate sets, do we?

    We do. Abi changes are rather rare so keeping them as a separate tree wouldn't
    add too much work for subsystem maintainers, and it would be a Good Thing
    (tm) to have one place where the whole current abi can be seen. One thing to
    note is that linux headers duplicate many structures and definitions that
    should be (and are) provided by glibc. This causes collisions. My current
    practice is to clear offending linux headers of their content, and simply
    include appropriate libc headers (with a nice warning) from them.
    I can say that about 60-80% of current linux headers do not have proper
    separation of kernel only code (counting in headers that are kernel only, but
    have no visible signs of that fact) and adding that separation would take a
    while. And even if successfull, it would add significant maintainer burden to
    keep the whole thing working (it would probably look like crap too).
    And we have to remember 2.4 compatibilities (which linux-libc-headers have) -
    is 2.6 kernel a place for them?
    (keep in mind I know squat about kernel development, so don't rely on my
    opinions too much)

    My current objective is to remove *all* remaining kernel code from
    linux-libc-headers and add as much 2.4 compatibilities as possible. And this
    will take a loooong time since the majority of headers are kernel only, but
    are not marked as such, or are marked as such on one arch only (ppc guys
    rock :), and assumption that removal of those headers from other archs is
    safe is... well... just an assumption.

    And as to leaving this as a separate project, or trying to push it into the
    kernel - well, I see pros and cons of both options (and it's not my
    decision :).

    In the year eighty five ten
    God is gonna shake his mighty head
    He'll either say,
    "I'm pleased where man has been"
    Or tear it down, and start again

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:01    [W:0.029 / U:0.064 seconds]