    SubjectRe: 2.6.5-rc2-aa5

    Andrew Moroton <> wrote:
    >> Andrea Arcangeli <> wrote:
    >> Notably there is a BUG_ON(page->mapping) triggering in
    >> page_remove_rmap in the pagecache case. that could be ex-pagecache
    >> being
    >> removed from pagecache before all ptes have been zapped, infact the
    >> page_remove_rmap triggers in the vmtruncate path.
    > Confused. vmtruncate zaps the ptes before removing pages from
    > pagecache,
    > so I'd expect a non-null ->mapping in page_remove_rmap() is a very
    > common
    > thing. truncate a file which someone has mmapped and it'll happen every
    > time, will it not?

    Andrea missed a not (!) in the BUG_ON. It is BUG_ON(!page->mapping).

    The race Andrea hit _may_ be the mremap vs. vmtruncate race I hit:

    A first truncate that raced with mremap and left an orphaned pte.
    The following truncate tried to clear the orphaned pte, and reached
    page_remove_rmap with page->mapping == NULL.

    Yes. It can happen in all 2.4 and 2.6 kernels.

    Hugh has a better fix than mine for the mremap vs. truncate race
    in his anobjrmap 7/6 patch.

    With prio_tree we have to modify Hugh's fix, though.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:02    [W:0.023 / U:54.964 seconds]