    SubjectRe: swsusp with highmem, testing wanted
    On Thu, Mar 25 2004, Pavel Machek wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > > > I actually ran it on real 2GB machine, and it seemed to do the trick,
    > > > unless "too much" memory was full.
    > >
    > > Well your patch really looked nothing more than a nasty hack, since it
    > > has known and very real failures. Why do you need to copy all highmem
    > > down to low mem? That cannot _ever_ work reliably?!
    >
    > Because it is only solution I know that does not require rewriting half
    > the kernel or rewriting all the block drivers. (see how swsusp already
    > does copy of lowmem).

    I don't understand, why would you need to rewrite block drivers?! Either
    way, your patch surely is a bad idea no matter what way you look at it.

    > Having special "poll" mode for block drivers might do the trick, but
    > thats lot of work.

    Maybe I'm missing something, but why doesn't the regular io paths work?

    > Which operations are allowed to access highmem? Can I rely on
    > block device read/write not accessing highmem?

    You mean modify highmem pages, or?

    --
    Jens Axboe