SubjectRe: [Lse-tech] [patch] sched-domain cleanups, sched-2.6.5-rc2-mm2-A3
Andi Kleen wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 07:31:37AM -0800, Nakajima, Jun wrote:
>
>>Andi,
>>
>>Can you be more specific with "it doesn't load balance threads
>>aggressively enough"? Or what behavior of the base NUMA scheduler is
>>missing in the sched-domain scheduler especially for NUMA?
>

> It doesn't do load balance in wake_up_forked_process() and is relatively
> non aggressive in balancing later. This leads to the multithreaded OpenMP
> STREAM running its childs first on the same node as the original process
> and allocating memory there. Then later they run on a different node when
> the balancing finally happens, but generate cross traffic to the old node,
> instead of using the memory bandwidth of their local nodes.
>
> The difference is very visible, even the 4 thread STREAM only sees the
> bandwidth of a single node. With a more aggressive scheduler you get
> 4 times as much.
>
> Admittedly it's a bit of a stupid benchmark, but seems to representative
> for a lot of HPC codes.

Hi Andi,
Sorry I keep telling you I'll work on this, but I never get
around to it. Mostly lack of hardware makes it difficult. I've
fixed a few bugs and some other workloads, so I keep hoping
that they will fix your problem :P

Your STREAM performance is really bad and I hope you don't
think I'm going to ignore it even if it is a bit stupid. Give
me a bit more time.

Of course, there is nothing fundamentally wrong with
sched-domains that is causing your problem. It can easily do
anything the old numa scheduler can do. It must be a bug or
some bad tuning somewhere.

Nick

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:01    [W:0.595 / U:0.016 seconds]