    SubjectRe: ANYONE? Re: SMP + Hyperthreading / Asus PCDL Deluxe / Kernel 2.4.x 2.6.x / Crash/Freeze
    Richard Browning <richard@redline.org.uk> said:
    > On Saturday 20 March 2004 14:33, Richard Browning wrote:
    > > Is there anyone in kernelland who is tackling this? I'm currently in the
    > > throes of recompiling everything with -march=pentium3 -O2 to see if these
    > > simple flags make a difference (as I reiterate, Windoze XP works without
    > > problem). I refuse to believe that I will have to use XP in order to get my
    > > money's worth. I've always thought anything Doze can do, GNU/Linux does
    > > better!

    > It's been pointed out to me that this Doze-vs-Linux comparison won't
    > help. If you're offended by it, please don't be. I've been a supporter
    > and contributer to the GNU cause for the last six years and I'm not going
    > to stop. However this is the first serious issue that I've come across
    > re: the kernel and incompatible hardware and I would like to see it
    > fixed. Like I've said, I want to help pinpoint the problem - but no-one's
    > asking.

    In my experience, when Linux crashes, Windows works fine it is flaky
    hardware. Has variously been overclocking, bad fans (CPU overheating), bad
    RAM. You have to rule all that out first. Might need a BIOS update...