SubjectRe: ANYONE? Re: SMP + Hyperthreading / Asus PCDL Deluxe / Kernel 2.4.x 2.6.x / Crash/Freeze
Date
On Sunday 21 March 2004 14:46, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
> I have been using 2.4.24 with SMP and hyperthreading with no
> problems. FYI, the reference to Windows is useless, because
> M$ was unable to make any SMP stuff function without crashes
> since windows 2000/professional, later Windows versions don't
> use your additional CPUs at all, they just report that they
> exist. FYI, see if you can find your CPU resources at all
> in XP!!! They just don't want you to know!

Er, sorry old man, but WindozeXPPro certainly does use the extra processors
with HT. I'm not talking about Task Manager (which of course shows four
processors) but the multi-threaded secure gateway application I'm developing
confirms the multiple (and virtual) processors.

In fact, Windoze2kPro has a different threading kernel to WIndozeXPPro, which
is why you get four procs in XPPro and only two in 2kPro. Anyway, this isn't
the thread or forum for this topic. I don't use Doze for anything other than
compatibility testing so it's a (fairly) moot point. I'm only interested in
improving Linux (since I develop on and for it) and if this investigation
helps, then marvellous.

Cheers

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:01    [W:0.274 / U:0.380 seconds]