SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.5-rc1

On Sun, 21 Mar 2004, Peter Osterlund wrote:

> For some reason I don't understand, this makes the UDF filesystem lock
> up when I write a bunch of mp3 files to a CDRW using the packet
> writing patch. Both "cp" and pdflush get stuck in __down. Reverting
> the semaphore changes as in the patch below makes the problem go away,
> but it's probably not the right solution to re-introduce lock_kernel()
> calls.

Looks correct. It looks like memory pressure while doign write() on the
semaphore will try to writeback dirty inodes and data, and the kernel lock
allowed that fine, but using the inode semaphore will just deadlock, since
the write() already holds the semaphore.

I think the prealloc stuff could probably be protected by the inode
spinlock instead, but for now your backout patch seems to be the same
thing to do.

Linus

  Last update: 2009-11-18 23:46    [W:0.092 / U:0.148 seconds]