    SubjectRe: can device drivers return non-ram via vm_ops->nopage?

    On Sat, Mar 20, 2004 at 10:23:41PM +0000, Russell King wrote:
    > Well, I've been told to effectively screw my idea by David Woodhouse,
    > so may I make the radical suggestion that rm -rf linux/sound would
    > also fix the problem. No, didn't think that was acceptable either.
    > Ok, so, how the fsck do we fix the sound drivers? How do we mmap()
    > memory provided by dma_alloc_coherent() into user space portably?
    > It appears from what David Woodhouse has been going on about, even
    > providing an architecture dma_coherent_to_page() interface isn't
    > acceptable.
    > If we can't answer that question, we might as well remove ALSA and
    > OSS from the kernel because they are abusing existing kernel
    > interfaces in ways which can not be solved.

    Is there any possibility of an extension to remap_area_pages() that
    could resolve this? I can't say I fully understood and/or remember
    the issue with it that you pointed out.

    -- wli

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:01    [W:0.032 / U:15.368 seconds]