    SubjectRe: [2/3] Use insert_resource in pci_claim_resource
    On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 11:52:17PM +0000, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
    > On ia64, the parent resources are not necessarily PCI resources and
    > so won't get found by pci_find_parent_resource. Use the shiny new
    > insert_resource() function instead, which I think we would have used
    > here had it been available at the time.

    I think we want to preserve the existing behaviour rather than change
    it. We really do want to request the device resource against its
    immediate parent because that is the way PCI works - if a devices
    resources don't fall within the parent bus resources, we want to
    know about it.

    May I suggest that ia64 sets the parent bus resources appropriately,
    which should relieve this problem (iow, pci_root_bus->resource[0..3])?
    If pci_find_parent_resource() is returning the wrong thing, its likely
    that other users of this function will also be getting the wrong answer.

    --
    Russell King
    maintainer of: 2.6 PCMCIA - http://pcmcia.arm.linux.org.uk/