    SubjectRe: "Enhanced" MD code avaible for review
    Christoph Hellwig wrote:
    > On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 02:18:25PM -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:
    >>> o Allow fully pluggable meta-data modules
    >>yep, needed
    > Well, this is pretty much the EVMS route we all heavily argued against.
    > Most of the metadata shouldn't be visible in the kernel at all.

    _some_ metadata is required at runtime, and must be in the kernel. I
    agree that a lot of configuration doesn't necessarily need to be in the
    kernel. But stuff like bad sector and event logs, and other bits are
    still needed at runtime.

    >>> o Improve the ability of MD to auto-configure arrays.
    >>hmmmm. Maybe in my language this means "improve ability for low-level
    >>drivers to communicate RAID support to upper layers"?
    > I think he's talking about the deprecated raid autorun feature. Again
    > something that is completely misplaced in the kernel. (ågain EVMS light)

    Indeed, but I'll let him and the code illuminate the meaning :)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:01    [W:0.041 / U:7.096 seconds]