    SubjectRe: New documentation file - SuccessfulProjects.txt
    Nivedita Singhvi <niv@us.ibm.com> wrote:

    > This draft is a start on a Documentation file for new Linux
    > projects in the family of SubmittingPatches and CodingStyle.
    >
    > It attempts to capture advice kernel maintainers repeatedly give
    > to large Linux project developers, especially those new to Linux.
    > With an increasing amount of software development taking place
    > in the Linux environment, it is hoped this contributes in some
    > small way to help people avoid the mistakes of those who have gone
    > before them in getting their code accepted into the Linux kernel.
    > Inspired by Andrew Morton's post on lkml just a while back on this
    > subject.
    >
    > If including this file in the Documentation directory is agreed to,
    > I'll be glad to incorporate feedback and resubmit.
    >
    > Any thoughts?

    Looks useful, thanks. I guess I'm not really in the target audience, so
    I'll probably miss things.

    > --------------------
    > File: SuccessfulProjects.txt
    > Date: 3/14/04
    > Title: How To Run A Successful Linux Project
    >
    > " How to improve your chances of launching and sustaining a successful Linux
    > project, get your code or technology accepted into the Linux kernel and
    > adopted by the community, earn fame (or employment, or at least continued
    > employment, or well, at least not completely waste your spare time), all
    > without losing your hair and your sanity. "
    >
    > Goal
    > ====
    > - Increase the success rate of Linux development projects
    > - Reduce the burden on the kernel maintainers and the community
    > - Decrease the angst and conflict experienced by project developers
    > - Make software development faster and more efficient
    > - Make users, consumers of those software projects happier

    - Use the kernel's review processes and testing base to increase the
    quality of your software.

    > Introduction
    > ============
    > Most of the information here is very basic, obvious and covered frequently in a
    > multitude of places, at length. However, it is also difficult to locate in one
    > convenient place, and ignored frequently enough to provoke the presence of this
    > file in the kernel Documentation subdirectory.
    >

    > Tips
    > ====

    Read Documentation/CodingStyle! If the code doesn't look like kernel code
    you've just made things much harder for yourself.

    > 1]. Become familiar with Linux kernel development!
    > 1.1 Who are the maintainers affected?
    > Learn who the maintainers are for the subsystems affected by your project,
    > and for the various releases, especially for the releases you intend to
    > provide code to.
    > 2.4 -> Marcelo Tosatti
    > 2.6 -> Andrew Morton
    > development -> Linus
    > Maintainers file -> current list of maintainers

    ./MAINTAINERS

    > 1.2 Which are the mailing lists you need?
    > Learn which mailing lists cover development in the areas affected by your
    > project. It is always a good idea to involve the kernel community or
    > sub-community as the case may be - which involves posting to the right
    > mailing lists. Solicit advice on which lists are appropriate.
    > You can start by checking the MARC archives to find the right lists.
    > http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/

    Well. Hopefully simply *reading* the mailing lists will help get people up
    to speed.

    > 1.3 Learn Linux Kernel Mailing List (lkml) etiquette
    > Read the Linux Kernel Mailing List FAQ.
    > http://www.tux.org/lkml/
    >
    > 1.4 Which Linux source tree?
    > Learn what a stable release and what a development release is.
    > Read the Linux FAQ.
    > http://en.tldp.org/FAQ/Linux-FAQ/index.html
    > This is, admittedly, already slightly out of date.

    It would be a good idea to spell this out here. People often do
    development against kernels which, frankly, are not development kernels.

    Apart from that, heck, why not? Please run up a diff.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:01    [W:0.029 / U:29.984 seconds]