SubjectRe: 2.6.5-rc1 SCSI + st regressions (was: Linux 2.6.5-rc1)
On Wed, 17 Mar 2004, Kai Makisara wrote:

> # ChangeSet
> # 2004/03/12 16:22:36-08:00 greg@kroah.com
> # remove cdev_set_name completely as it is not needed.
>
> (and editing drivers/char/tty_io.c to get the kernel to compile) solved
> the problem for me. st.c is using the name put into kobj.name in making
> the class file names. I will make a patch that removes this dependency.

I had backed out that ChangeSet here as I was suspecting it (about the
only one "new enough" to cause these problems) but bumped into tty_io.c
compile failures and didn't have time to investigate.

> While looking at this problem, I noticed that the naming changes already
> committed to BK had disappeared. Looking at st.c history revealed that the
> following change had been committed (sorry for wrapping) by greg@kroah.com
> 46 hours ago:

This is how the change tree looks like in BitKeeper's histtool,
the top line is the date in MM-DD format:

02-22 02-24 03-03 03-13 03-13 03-15
kai -> axbø -> kai -------------------------------> greg
1.78 1.79\ 1.80 1.81
\ /
`----------corbet-------greg------'
1.79.1.1 1.79.1.2

Logs:

======== st.c 1.1..1.81 ========
D 1.81 04/03/15 15:02:26-08:00 greg@kroah.com 104 101 0/5/4363
P drivers/scsi/st.c
C merge
D 1.79.1.2 04/03/12 08:22:11-08:00 greg@kroah.com[greg] 103 102 0/1/4350
P drivers/scsi/st.c
C remove cdev_set_name completely as it is not needed.
D 1.79.1.1 04/03/13 00:47:18-08:00 corbet@lwn.net[greg] 102 100 2/3/4349
P drivers/scsi/st.c
C cdev 2/2: hide cdev->kobj
D 1.80 04/02/26 05:24:19-06:00 Kai.Makisara@kolumbus.fi[jejb] 101 100 28/12/4340
P drivers/scsi/st.c
C SCSI tape sysfs name fixes
D 1.79 04/02/23 06:23:46-08:00 axboe@suse.de[torvalds] 100 99 1/1/4351
P drivers/scsi/st.c
C fix SCSI non-sector bio backed IO

> The change comment was "merge" and it resulted in st.c version 1.81. (I am
> not using Bitkeeper but trying to extract information from bkbits.net.)

BitKeeper doesn't have more info and this doesn't look like an auto-generated
comment of BitKeeper's, but seems to have been entered manually. Blame Greg?

--
Matthias Andree