SubjectRe: [Prism54-devel] Re: Prism54 in 2.6.4-bk2
Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 01:14:35AM -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:
>
>>Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
>>
>>>Regarding WDS on prism54: on the netdev list we discussed this
>>>but no one got back to me as to whether we should really just nuke this
>>>code. Prism54 driver source *does* include WDS support because hey, the
>>>firmware does. Why wouldn't it go in the driver? We haven't given WDS
>>>much though anyway since it's also been low priority on our TODO list.
>>
>>The WDS code was dead code as merged.
>>
>>If you actually use it, I don't mind adding it :)
>

> I don't know of anybody who uses it. We did consider to drop it but we
> just never got around to deciding what we were going to do about it. I
> know it's there and it's *supposed* to work.
>
> Can we get back to you on that? :) It is just code that *is*
> driver/hardware specific.

For code is that (a) experimental, (b) for pre-production hardware, or
(c) rarely if ever used, we would prefer to not merge it at all.

When I see stuff like "TODO: actually give this some thought" and "I
don't know anybody who uses it", that means it doesn't need to be merged
in the upstream tree :)

> Actually can I just send you a patch for 2.6 for the latest 2.6 tree to
> match ours? That is, rm -rf prism54/ as is and add our latest patch ?
> It'd save a lot of work on our end.

It depends on how big the patch is, and whether or not it adds code that
nobody but the dev team uses, etc... I don't want to add the WDS code,
since nobody uses it... and adding the #ifdefs I removed would not be
desired either. Those #ifdefs aren't need in the upstream tree. I plan
to remove them from other upstream drivers, too.

WRT submitting patches... send away. drivers/net patches should go ->
Jean T -> jgarzik+netdev or simply -> jgarzik+netdev, your choice. In
general "50 small patches are better than 1 big patch". Large updates
are not reviewable or easily testable. Large patches tend to fix 20
bugs, and add 5 new ones.

Jeff

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:01    [W:0.033 / U:0.204 seconds]