SubjectRe: [Dri-devel] Re: DRM reorganization
Andrew Morton wrote:
> Ian Romanick <idr@us.ibm.com> wrote:
>
>>We're looking at reorganizing the way DRM drivers are maintained.
>>Currently, the DRM kernel code lives deep in a subdirectory of the DRI
>>tree (which is a partial copy of the XFree86 tree). We plan to move it
>>"up" to its own module at the top level. That should make it *much*
>>easier for people that want to do things with the DRM but don't want all
>>the rest of X (i.e., DRI w/DirectFB, etc.).
>>
>>When we do this move, we're open to the possibility of reorganizing the
>>file structure. What can we do to make it easier for kernel release
>>maintainers to merge changes into their trees?
>
> - Make sure that the files in the main kernel distribution are up to date.
>
> - Prepare a shell script which does all the relevant file moves, send to
> Linus, along with a diff which fixes up Kconfig and Makefiles.
>
> - Start patching the files in their new locations.

I'm not 100% sure what you mean. Right now the files in our CVS are
split between two directories. There's a "common" directory, which is
used on both Linux & BSD, and a Linux-specific directory. Our intention
is to shift around where some of the files are in our CVS. I don't
think we intend to move where things are in the Linux source tree.

That's part of why I'm asking. From talking to Linus in the past, I
know that merging in changes is a PITA due to our funky directory
structure. I'd like to make that easier. :)

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:01    [W:0.049 / U:0.820 seconds]