    SubjectRe: unionfs
    Date

    On Monday 15 March 2004 16:13, Jörn Engel wrote:
    > On Mon, 15 March 2004 22:35:20 +0800, Ian Kent wrote:
    > > I don't understand the requirement properly. Sorry.
    >
    > Depends on who you ask, but imo it boils down to this:
    > - Use one filesystem as backing store, usually ro.
    > - Have another filesystem on top for extra functionality, usually rw
    > access.
    >
    > Famous example is a rw-CDROM, where writes go to hard drive and
    > unchanged data is read from CDROM. But it makes sense for other
    > things as well.

    If I understand correctly this unionfs feature would also be the cleanest
    way of changing the root filesystem after using an initrd ramdisk on boot.
    Currently the pivot_root call is used to change root but that still implies a
    bit of a hack. You can read about it on this fine paper:

    http://www.cis.udel.edu/~zhi/www.docshow.net/linux/ols.zip

    It's also a good read if you want to understand the linux bootloaders and
    the boot process in general.

    Regards

    Claudio

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:01    [W:0.025 / U:0.348 seconds]