    SubjectRe: Bloat report 2.6.3 -> 2.6.4
    On Sat, Mar 13, 2004 at 11:33:32AM -0600, Matt Mackall wrote:
    > I actually did explicitly note this problem in the part you clipped.

    I clipped nothing, I quoted your _complete_ mail.

    > But I think it's fair to say that new features that are on by default
    > are in fact bloat in some sense.

    Perhaps in some sense, but not in any interesting sense.

    For the average computer you can buy at your supermarket today it isn't
    very interesting whether the kernel is bigger by 1 MB or not.

    People who need to care about the size of the kernel [1] use hand-tuned
    .config's that are far away from defconfig - and those people wouldn't
    enable unneeded features that are on by default.

    You use a metric "size increase of a defconfig kernel [2]", and I simply
    claim that this metric doesn't measure anything useful for practical

    [1] e.g. for small embedded systems, very old computers or
    boot _floppies_
    [2] modulo some compensation for changed defconfig's

    "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
    Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:01    [W:0.023 / U:9.508 seconds]