SubjectRe: anon_vma RFC2
On Sat, 13 Mar 2004, William Lee Irwin III wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 13, 2004 at 04:52:00PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > Yes. However, I'd at least personally hope that we don't even need the
> > find_vma() all the time.
>
> find_vma() is often necessary to determine whether the page is mlock()'d.

Alternatively, the mlock()d pages shouldn't appear on the LRU
at all, reusing one of the variables inside page->lru as a
counter to keep track of exactly how many times this page is
mlock()d.

> In schemes where mm's that may not map the page appear in searches,
> it may also be necessary to determine if there's even a vma covering the
> area at all or otherwise a normal vma, since pagetables outside normal
> vmas may very well not be understood by the core (e.g. hugetlb).

If the page is a normal page on the LRU, I suspect we don't
need to find the VMA, with the exception of mlock()d pages...

Good thing Christoph was already looking at the mlock()d page
counter idea.