SubjectRe: anon_vma RFC2
On Fri, 12 Mar 2004, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 10:28:42PM -0500, Rik van Riel wrote:

> > Actually, with the code Rajesh is working on there's
> > no search problem with Hugh's idea.
>
> you missed the fact mremap doesn't work, that's the fundamental reason
> for the vma tracking, so you can use vm_pgoff.
>
> if you take Hugh's anonmm, mremap will be attaching a persistent dynamic
> overhead to the vma it touches. Currently it does in form of pte_chains,
> that can be converted to other means of overhead, but I simply don't
> like it.
>
> I like all vmas to be symmetric to each other, without special hacks to
> handle mremap right.
>
> We have the vm_pgoff to handle mremap and I simply use that.

Would it be possible to get rid of that if we attached
a struct address_space to each mm_struct after exec(),
sharing the address_space between parent and child
processes after a fork() ?

Note that the page cache can handle up to 2^42 bytes
in one address_space on a 32 bit system, so there's
more than enough space to be shared between parent and
child processes.

Then the vmas can track vm_pgoff inside the address
space attached to the mm.

> > Considering the fact that we'll need Rajesh's code
> > anyway, to deal with Ingo's test program and the real
>
> Rajesh's code has nothing to do with the mremap breakage, Rajesh's code
> can only boost the search of the interesting vmas in an anonmm, it
> doesn't solve mremap.

If you mmap a file, then mremap part of that mmap, where's
the special case ?

> "Overall the main reason for forbidding keeping track of vmas and not of
> mm, is to be able to handle mremap as efficiently as with 2.4, I mean
> your anobjrmap-5 simply reistantiate the pte_chains, so the vm then has
> to deal with both pte_chains and anonmm too."

Yes, that's a problem indeed. I'm not sure it's fundamental
or just an implementation artifact, though...

> the vma merging isn't a problem, we need to rework the code anyways to
> allow the file merging in both mprotect and mremap

Agreed.