    Subjecthost name length
    POSIX nowadays contains

    for programs to use to learn about the maximum host name length which is
    allowed. _POSIX_HOST_NAME_MAX is the standard-required minimum maximum
    and the value must be 256.

    The problem is that HOST_NAME_MAX currently is defined as 64, as defined
    by __NET_UTS_LEN in <linux/utsname.h>. I.e., we have HOST_NAME_MAX as
    smaller than the minimum maximum which is obviously not POSIX compliant.

    Now, we can simply ignore the problem or do something about it and
    introduce a third version of the utsname structure with sufficiently big
    nodename field.

    Many OSes used small values before but 256 was chosen as a minimum
    maximum and some OSes were changed since host names longer than 64 chars
    indeed do exist. I wonder why this never has been brought to the
    attention. Or were people happy enough with truncated host names?

    Anyway, is there interest in getting this changed?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:01    [W:0.019 / U:188.548 seconds]