    SubjectRe: lvm2 performance data with linux-2.6
    markw@osdl.org wrote:
    > I've started collecting various data (including oprofile) using our
    > DBT-2 (OLTP) workload with lvm2 on linux 2.6.2 and 2.6.3 on ia32 and
    > ia64 platforms:
    > http://developer.osdl.org/markw/lvm2/
    >
    > So far I've only varied the stripe width with lvm, from 8 KB to 512 KB,
    > for PostgreSQL that is using 8 KB sized blocks with ext2. It appears
    > that a stripe width of 16 KB through 128KB on the ia64 system gives the
    > best throughput for the DBT-2 workload on a volume that should be doing
    > mostly sequential writes.
    >
    > I'm going to run through more tests varying the block size that
    > PostgreSQL uses, but I wanted to share what I had so far in case there
    > were other suggestions or recommendations.

    Here's one thought: look at the i/o rates on individual drives using
    each stripe size. You *might* see that one size does far fewer seeks
    than others, which is a secondary thing to optimize after throughput IMHO.

    If you don't have a tool for this I can send you the latest diorate
    which does stuff like this, io rate perdrive or per partition, something
    I occasionally find revealing.

    -bill

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:01    [W:0.024 / U:118.340 seconds]