    Subjectksoftirqd using mysteriously high amounts of CPU time
    Greetings, all

    I'm running into an issue where ksoftirqd/0 consumes a considerably
    larger amount of CPU time than it should, and begins to actively
    consume 99% CPU time during network operations.

    I've done my best to diagnose this, but it has followed me from kernel
    2.4.20 to 2.6.3 and all versions in between, on three different server
    systems with distinct hardware configurations.

    The latest system to be affected by this takes considerably longer to
    have trouble, but this is only due to its sheer muscle to begin with (2x
    MP 2800+), but does indeed appear. After 55 days of uptime:

    5 root 34 19 0 0 0 S 0.0 0.0 0:21.40 ksoftirqd_CPU0
    6 root 34 19 0 0 0 S 0.0 0.0 0:36.31 ksoftirqd_CPU1

    Compare this to another machine which I don't run myself:

    3 root 19 19 0 0 0 S 0.0 0.0 0:09.86 ksoftirqd_CPU0

    There are peculiarities to my configuration which are shared on all the
    affected machines - the use of PPPoE to connect is one example. However
    on one of the affected systems a second network interface was subjected
    to heavy NFS traffic over simple ethernet and exhibited the same
    behavior. Another shared trait is a firewall ruleset I've written for
    the machines, which I can attach if someone would like to see them.

    The three configurations include:

    K6-2 500MHz
    Ne2K, RealTek 8139

    Duron 900MHz
    SiS 900, RealTek 8139

    2x Athlon MP 2800+
    3com 3c905b 10/100+

    The issue begins with ksoftirqd consuming more time than usual, and ends
    after four to twelve weeks depending on how powerful the machine, with
    the machine crippled and unable to sustain network traffic of any kind.
    Any assistance on where to look for solutions to this kind of problem
    would be GREATLY appreciated.

    Thanks in advance!

    Brad

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:01    [W:0.019 / U:3.388 seconds]