    SubjectRe: Redirection of STDERR
    Yeah, you're right.  I was tired when I wrote it,

    however, the exec command still isn't quite
    complete. Normally, you'd want a command to be
    exec'ing.

    In theory, the exec command by itself should (I think) just
    redirect for the rest of your commands... However, it would
    appear that there's a bug in bash for that syntax.
    (i.e. If I type it in on the command line, It doesn't work for me, either).

    In this case, I think you're going to be better off to just start
    your processes with the output going direct logger...

    my (more successful) way of doing this is:

    {
    command 1
    command2
    command3
    } | logger -t $0[$$]

    (needs a semicolon before the '}' if it's a one-liner.

    It's also more portable (compatible with old bourne shells)
    I prefer to save things like the named pipe syntax for the really
    ornery situations where bourne-compatible syntax jusr doesn't
    do the job.

    --
    Stephen Samuel +1(604)876-0426 samuel@bcgreen.com
    http://www.bcgreen.com/~samuel/