    SubjectRe: PATCH - ext2fs privacy (i.e. secure deletion) patch
    the grugq wrote:
    > Yes, the allocation of the inode and data blocks should be randomized
    > for security, but that would lead to performance impacts. Implementing
    > that should definately be a compile time option.

    What do you mean?

    I haven't mentioned randomising block allocations at all.

    The random number is an encryption key, private to the inode, used to
    encrypt the data blocks. The blocks are allocated efficiently as usual.

    > Your suggestion would certainly work, but I think the performance impact
    > of using random inodes and data blocks would dissuade many from having
    > it enabled by default. Simple secure deletion of the data and meta-data
    > would have a lower impact, and be more likely to be used on more file
    > systems.

    My suggestion would be much more efficient than yours: for every file
    created and deleted, you do twice the I/O I do.

    -- Jamie