SubjectRe: IPV4 as module?
On Thu, 5 Feb 2004, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:

> On Wed, 2004-02-04 23:06:10 +0300, Andrey Borzenkov <arvidjaar@mail.ru>
> wrote in message <20040204200610.GB3802@localhost.localdomain>:
> > Any technical reaon IPV4 cannot be built as module? Current kernel
> > barely fits on floopy (even with IDE as module); factoring out IPV4
> > would allow to reduce size even more.
>
> Some hard work need to be done to do that, but why shouldn't a kernel
> fit onto a floppy? My vmlinuz'es are at about 600 to 900 KB for i386 and
> a floppy can handle nearly about twice that size...

Better will be ask why you must recompile kernel for add ipv4 abilities
if you uses (olny) for example ipv6 stack ? :)

kloczek
PS. Many modern PCs wave now only CD drive .. one CD can fit much
more than kernel image and all kernel modules. So step your quostion path
it will be "much more correct" ask why the hell kernel is (still ?)
modular (?) 8^>