SubjectRe: getcwd() returning -ENOENT???

-rb (Robert T. Brown) wrote:
> Greetings.
> I have 2 clients and a server. On one client, every 24-72 hours
> I get into a situation where the shells cd'ed into
> my [automounted] home directory report:
>
> gretchen@falcon{11}pwd
> pwd: cannot get current directory: No such file or directory

I've had this exact same thing. I start konsole and write "pwd",
resulting in an error message. Merely cd:ing again "fixes" it, as you
have also noted. My home directory was mounted over NFS. This was on a
Fedore 1 machine with their kernel. The mountpoint was not automounted,
however.

I wrote a C program whose only purpose was to print the current working
directory using getcwd(3). Immediately after starting konsole, the
program failed every time; after cd:ing it started working.

I can't unfortunately remember any further details like exact glibc or
kernel version, and I've also lost any strace or tcpdump from that time
as well. The problem was extremely persistent for a week or so, then
suddenly stopped occurring. And I think neither the NFS server nor the
client was rebooted in between.

You might want to try dumping the traffic and checking with ethereal
what is actually sent across the wire, in both directions.

Marcus

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:00    [W:0.050 / U:0.092 seconds]