    SubjectRe: Active Memory Defragmentation: Our implementation & problems

    --- Dave Hansen <haveblue@us.ibm.com> wrote:
    > On Wed, 2004-02-04 at 10:54, Alok Mooley wrote:
    > > --- Dave Hansen <haveblue@us.ibm.com> wrote:
    > Depending on the quantity of work that you're trying
    > to do at once, this
    > might be unavoidable.
    >
    > I know it's a difficult thing to think about, but I
    > still don't
    > understand the precise cases that you're concerned
    > about. Page faults
    > to me seem like the least of your problems. A
    > bigger issue would be if
    > the page is written to by userspace after you copy,
    > but before you
    > install the new pte. Did I miss the code in your
    > patch that invalidated
    > the old tlb entries?

    This is a non issue for us right now, since we update
    the ptes in a lock, & so no one can access it before
    it is completely updated. Yes, we invalidate the old
    tlb entries as well as the cache entries as reqd. on
    some other architectures.

    -Alok