    SubjectRe: Active Memory Defragmentation: Our implementation & problems

    --- Dave Hansen <> wrote:
    > On Wed, 2004-02-04 at 10:54, Alok Mooley wrote:
    > > --- Dave Hansen <> wrote:
    > Depending on the quantity of work that you're trying
    > to do at once, this
    > might be unavoidable.
    > I know it's a difficult thing to think about, but I
    > still don't
    > understand the precise cases that you're concerned
    > about. Page faults
    > to me seem like the least of your problems. A
    > bigger issue would be if
    > the page is written to by userspace after you copy,
    > but before you
    > install the new pte. Did I miss the code in your
    > patch that invalidated
    > the old tlb entries?

    This is a non issue for us right now, since we update
    the ptes in a lock, & so no one can access it before
    it is completely updated. Yes, we invalidate the old
    tlb entries as well as the cache entries as reqd. on
    some other architectures.

    Do you Yahoo!?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:00    [W:0.022 / U:9.748 seconds]