SubjectRe: [ACPI] acpi problem with nforce motherboards and ethernet
David Ford wrote:

> I have the same problem. I "solved" it a while ago by mucking with
> the AGP stuff. IIRC, it was turning off AGP fast writes or 8x or
> something similar in cmos. Went from incredibly broken to stable
> instantly. I'll check my cmos settings in a bit and refresh my memory.
>
> What patches are you using?

I'm using nforce2-apic.patch and nforce2-disconnect-quirk.patch that
Andrew Morton have sent to me. I think they have been included in
previous mm kernels but now are droped because they caused some
temperature problems for some people with no nforce motherboards.

If you want it, I can send it to you.

By the way, is anyone involved in solving the IO-APIC thing in nforce
motherboards? Anyone trying a different approach? Anyone contacting
nvidia about this problem?

> p.s. reiserfs is pretty useless against crashes. hundreds of files
> around the harddrive get messed up everytime the machine locks
> up...files that haven't been used in weeks, as well as files opened
> read-only, i.e. libraries.

I don't think this could be a reiserfs problem, because all the computer
gets frezzed and locked, but perhaps someone at Namesys can realize why
files gets deleted all over the hard disc.

Thanks.

Luis Miguel Garcia

> p.s. reiserfs is pretty useless against crashes. hundreds of files
> around the harddrive get messed up everytime the machine locks
> up...files that haven't been used in weeks, as well as files opened
> read-only, i.e. libraries.
>
> Luis Miguel García wrote:
>
>> (sorry with my sucking english)
>>
>> ok, let me know if you know for me to test something with this newer
>> mm kernels.
>>
>> by the way, yes, I'm experiencing the lockups. Not with heavy io, but
>> almost when I boot and enter X. The system gets completly frozzened
>> and the HD led keps on. When I reboot with a sane kernel, I found
>> several files from my /home directory are deleted or filled with
>> garbage.
>>
>> Now, I patch each kernel I use with the two patches Andrew sent to me
>> and I'm having no problems.
>>
>> Actually i'm running 2.6.2-ck1 + nforce-patches and the temperature
>> of the system is 55º while idle, and 631 while compiling (only cpu
>> fan, no case fans). I don't know if it's high (some people reported
>> high temperatures with this patches) but it runs very well this way.
>>
>> If you want for me to test some patches or something, please drop me
>> a note.
>>
>> Thanks a lot...
>>
>> Luis Miguel García
>>
>> P.S.: by the way, why am I getting strage "arabesque" characters when
>> I reply to your emails? Perhaps something with wrong encoding?
>>
>>> This is interesting, I will test it myself later on. At one point Len
>>> admitted to owning "foreign hardware :p" so maybe this could get
>>> resolved.
>>>
>>> Personally I haven't tried kernels with newer forcedeth drivers,
>>> because I
>>> can no longer explicitely set the power state of the NIC to D3. The
>>> machine complains about irqs (new debugging code since forcedeth
>>> v.20 or
>>> so) and will not powerdown.
>>>
>>> On another note, have you noticed lockups of your system with heavy io?
>>> Think of fsck'ing, burning cdroms, du on large dirs etc? Maybe it is
>>> helpful to set up a list of boards and document what works or
>>> doesn't work
>>> with which kernel. For instance the lockups with heavy io seem to be
>>> resolved here if I leave APIC from my kernel.
>>>
>>> Arjen

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:00    [W:0.077 / U:0.356 seconds]