SubjectRe: kgdb support in vanilla 2.6.2
"La Monte H.P. Yarroll" <> wrote:
> Andrew Morton wrote:
> >Pavel Machek <> wrote:
> >

> >>It seems that some kgdb support is in 2.6.2-linus:
> >>

> >Lots of architectures have had in-kernel kgdb support for a long time.
> >Just none of the three which I use :(
> >
> >I wouldn't support inclusion of i386 kgdb until it has had a lot of
> >cleanup, possible de-featuritisification and some thought has been applied
> >to splitting it into arch and generic bits. It's quite a lot of work.
> >

> Amit has started at least the third activity--he has split much of kgdb
> into arch and generic bits.

> Could you elaborate a little on the first two?
> What major kinds of cleanup are we talking about? Style issues?

Coding style compliance, reduction of ifdefs, etc. Reduction of patch
footprint. There are a few features in the patch in -mm which I am not
aware of anyone having used.

> What features (or classes of features) do you find excessive? Would
> it be sufficient to add a few config items to control subfeatures
> of kgdb?

People have added timestamping infrastructure, stack overflow testing and
inbuilt assertion frameworks to various gdb stubs at various times. We
need to take a look at such things and really convice ourselves that
they're worthwhile. Personally, I'd only be interested in the basic stub.

I need to take a look at Amit's current patch - it sounds good.