SubjectRe: [BUG] unsafe reset in ac97_codec.c
Liam Girdwood wrote:
> /* probing AC97 codec, AC97 2.0 says that bit 15 of register 0x00
> (reset) should
> * be read zero.
> *
> * FIXME: is the following comment outdated? -jgarzik
> * Probing of AC97 in this way is not reliable, it is not even SAFE !!
> */
> codec->codec_write(codec, AC97_RESET, 0L);
>

> IMO, this is unsafe because it can also reset the codec into it's
> default power state which can be "power down". This is not normally a
> problem for PC's, but some battery powered devices have the default
> codec state as "power down" to conserve power.
>
> Was this introduced as a workaround for some buggy device ?
> If no one objects I'll submit a patch.

In general it's important for Linux to be able to reset a device
reliable. Where in Other Operating Systems one must reboot the
computer, Linux users can just re-load the driver quite often.

So I think there are two comments here:

* I can certainly see -probing- being unreliable (but not necessarily reset)

* If the default state for some devices is power-down, the driver should
be aware of that -anyway-, and we should power up on startup or on-demand.

Jeff

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:00    [W:0.062 / U:0.120 seconds]