    SubjectRe: Active Memory Defragmentation: Our implementation & problems

    --- Dave Hansen <haveblue@us.ibm.com> wrote:

    > The "work until we get interrupted and restart if
    > something changes
    > state" approach is very, very common. Can you give
    > some more examples
    > of just how a page fault would ruin the defrag
    > process?

    What I mean to say is that if we have identified some
    pages for movement, & we get preempted, the pages
    identified as movable may not remain movable any more
    when we are rescheduled. We are left with the task of
    identifying new movable pages.

    -Alok