    SubjectRe: PATCH - ext2fs privacy (i.e. secure deletion) patch
    the grugq wrote:
    >> The obvious thing to do would be to make it a mount option, so that
    >> (a) recompilation is not necessary in order to use the feature, and
    >> (b) the feature can be turned on or off on a per-filesystem feature.
    >> In 2.6, it's possible to specify certain mount option to be specifed
    >> by default on a per-filesystem basis (via a new field in the
    >> superblock).
    >> So if you do things that way, then secure deletion would take place
    >> either if the secure deletion flag is set (so it can be enabled on a
    >> per-file basis), or if the filesystem is mounted with the
    >> secure-deletion mount option.
    > Makes sense to me. If either the file system, or the file, are in
    > 'secure delete' mode, then erase everything about the file. Allowing the
    > paranoid to have the option as default, and the concerned to target
    > specific files. I like it.

    It would be useful to have this as a directory option, so that all files
    in directory would be protected. I think wherever you do it you have to
    prevent hard links, so that unlink really removes the data.

    bill davidsen <>
    CTO TMR Associates, Inc

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:00    [W:0.021 / U:10.580 seconds]