SubjectRe: 2.6.0, cdrom still showing directories after being erased
On Wed, 2004-02-04 at 00:40, Jens Axboe wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 03 2004, Richard B. Johnson wrote:

> > > Just tested with an ASUS SCB-2408 in my laptop. It gives read errors
> > > after doing a fast erase, just like it should.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Måns Rullgård
> > > mru@kth.se
> > > -
> >
> > I had to borrow a R/W CDROM because most everybody uses CR-R only
> > here. That's why it took so long to check. With SCSI, Linux 2.4.24,
> > cdrecord fails to umount the drive before it burns it. The result
> > is that the previous directory still remains at the mount-point.
> > This, even though cdrecord ejected the drive to "re-read" its
> > status.
> >
> > Bottom line: If the CDROM isn't umounted first, you can still
> > get a directory entry even though the CDROM has been written with
> > about 500 magabytes of new data.
>
> So what? Just because you can do it, doesn't mean it's a valid thing to
> do. You can literally come up with thousands of similar weird things, if
> you wanted to.
>
> This whole discussion is silly and pointless.

I am assuming its cdrecord's responsibility to check if the device is
not in use? How difficult will it be to add a kernel side stopper to
this (as it will after all also stop this thread) ?

--
Martin Schlemmer

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:00    [W:0.154 / U:0.188 seconds]