    SubjectRe: 2.6.0, cdrom still showing directories after being erased
    On Tue, Feb 03 2004, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
    > On Tue, 3 Feb 2004, [iso-8859-1] Måns Rullgård wrote:
    > > John Bradford <> writes:
    > >
    > > > Regardless of specs, I don't know what the majority of devices in the
    > > > real world actually do. Maybe Jens and Alan, (cc'ed), can help.
    > >
    > > Just tested with an ASUS SCB-2408 in my laptop. It gives read errors
    > > after doing a fast erase, just like it should.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Måns Rullgård
    > >
    > > -
    > I had to borrow a R/W CDROM because most everybody uses CR-R only
    > here. That's why it took so long to check. With SCSI, Linux 2.4.24,
    > cdrecord fails to umount the drive before it burns it. The result
    > is that the previous directory still remains at the mount-point.
    > This, even though cdrecord ejected the drive to "re-read" its
    > status.
    > Bottom line: If the CDROM isn't umounted first, you can still
    > get a directory entry even though the CDROM has been written with
    > about 500 magabytes of new data.

    So what? Just because you can do it, doesn't mean it's a valid thing to
    do. You can literally come up with thousands of similar weird things, if
    you wanted to.

    This whole discussion is silly and pointless.

    Jens Axboe

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:00    [W:0.030 / U:64.148 seconds]