    SubjectRe: 2.6.3-mm4
    Jean Delvare wrote:
    >>You have to be kidding me. Are you saying that with your patches to
    >>libsensors it won't support 2.6.3 style sensor sysfs names?
    > Yes I am. This isn't a fundamentally new problem. Each Linux 2.6 has
    > had its matching libsensors version that was not backward compatible
    > (with earlier 2.6 kernels; it's still fully compatible with 2.4).
    > Keeping newer versions of libsensors compatible with all early 2.6
    > kernel versions would make it incredibly more complex, with no
    > significant benefit IMHO.
    > The facts are that the sysfs interface to i2c chips is just stabilizing.
    > Greg's original naming scheme had many drawbacks (also we can't blame
    > him for that, since nobody objected before me), as I have been
    > explaining in a previous post on LKML. Also, many chip drivers did not
    > comply with it in early 2.6 kernels, and new chip drivers wouldn't fit
    > in it anyway.
    > The new interface is required if we want to write a chip-independant
    > libsensors someday. I estimate that this is worth breaking the
    > compatibility. The impacted kernels (later 2.5 and earlier 2.6) will
    > obviously not be used anymore within a short time anyway.
    > I invite you to read my original post here:
    > I explain the problems of the current interface and my goals with the
    > new one. If you can think of a better solution to the problem, please
    > speak up.

    Working from the premise that there is a current (old-style with mostly
    chip dependent code), libsensors has 2.4 /proc support, and each
    specific release supports one of 2.6.[0123]...

    I'm glad I'm not the maintainer of libsensors for a distribution. Since
    you have effectively pushed the compatibility work to them. Just think
    of angry customer complaints about this. :(

    Since there is going to be an effective libsensors-new library with chip
    independent code, I suggest you put the compat code into the old library.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:01    [W:0.021 / U:3.180 seconds]