    Subject/dev/psaux-Interface
    Hi there,

    Story:
    As Windows2000 was just so unstable and slow I decided to use Linux on
    my Thinkpad 570E. Installation of gentoo was no problem (even if it
    took quite long) and I first installed a 2.4.25-kernel. Everything
    worked fine there and I could use the trackpoint utilities from Till
    Straumann to set the features of the trackpoint. The only problem was,
    that ACPI (and APM) did not function properly and so I couldn't get the
    current state of the battery (which is quite a large problem for a
    laptop). So I tried the 2.6.3-kernel. Apart from minor problems which
    could be solved rather quickly I got all devices up and running
    including battery monitoring. However, the trackpoint utility did not
    work anymore and so the special features like press-to-select and
    HARDWARE sensitivity setup do not work until today.

    Problem:
    As I've read so far, the approach in 2.6.x-kernel was to remove
    user-space-drivers as much as possible and one of the consequences was
    that the /dev/psaux-Device does not exist as in 2.4.x-kernels. However,
    there are some special devices (not only the trackpoint but also
    touchscreens for example) which had drivers for 2.4.x-kernels using the
    /dev/psaux-interface and most people who programmed those drivers either
    don't have the time or don't use/own those devices anymore. Furthermore,
    writing kernel device drivers requires more skill and they are harder
    to debug. So there's no real hope that they will ever be ported...

    Suggestion:
    I would suggest using a /dev/psaux-compatibility option which gives back
    the old interface so that these drivers work. This is only meant as a
    user-selectable option and I don't think that the new input system
    should be changed apart from that! There is already an existing approach
    to a kernel patch which can be found here
    http://www.informatik.uni-freiburg.de/~danlee/fun/psaux/ It can be
    integrated easily into the kernel but it seems like there are still bugs
    in there. I'm in contact with the author because the trackpoint utilities
    creates a segmentation fault when writing to the device but we could not
    figure out a solution yet (it’s strange that his touchscreen device
    functions without any problems). We are sure that it would not be a huge
    problem to solve it for you guys out there, so if anyone wants to help us
    please contact b-gruber[at]gmx.de and I’ll send you a more detailed error
    report.

    PS: Sorry if my english sounds a little bit bumpy sometimes but I don’t
    speak english natively.
    I would appreciate if you could cc all answers to my Email-adress as I
    haven't subscribed to this mailing-list!

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:01    [W:0.034 / U:0.764 seconds]