Subject2.6.3-bk9 QA testing: firewire good, USB printing dead
Hi everyone,

Ben Collins pointed me to 2.6.3-bk9 for my firewire troubles, and I'm
happy to report that firewire is working like a champ -- never better.
I'm burning 3 CDs simultaneously via firewire (2 controllers) with no
problems. I expect 4 simultaneous burns will also work well. My devices
have Oxford 911 chips, controllers are soundblaster audigy and a generic
3-port 1394a card.

However, 2.6.3-bk9's USB printing support appears to be dead. I can't
get it to work reliably. Tested on Epson Stylus Photo 960 and a Brother
Laser printer. catting files to /dev/usb/lp? tends to fail (process will
get "stuck") and printer data stops flowing. This is on an Athlon XP
(NForce2) system using the on-board USB. The official 2.6.3 release
works fine. I'd expect these USB printing death symptoms to be easily
reproducable on quite a few systems -- the problems hit me in the first
few seconds of print testing. If they end up being more elusive, I can
try to dig up more info for anyone who's interested in trying to isolate
the problem.

Regards,

Daniel

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:01    [W:1.657 / U:0.008 seconds]