Subjectudp packet loss even with large socket buffer
Date
Hi,

I have a problem when trying to receive udp packets containing video data
sent by Microsoft Windows Messenger. Here is a detailed description:

Linux box:
Linux-2.4.21-0.13mdksmp, P4 2.6G HT
socket mode:
blocked mode
code used:
while ( recvfrom(...) )
socket buffer size:
8388608, set by using sysctl -w net.core.rmem_default and rmem_max

I used ethereal(using libpcap) to monitor the network traffic. All the
packets were transferred and captured by libpcap. But my program constantly
suffers from packet loss. According to ethereal, the average time interval
between 2 packets is 70-80ms, and the minimum interval can go down to ~1ms.
Each packet is smaller than 1500 bytes (ethernet MTU).

Can anybody help me? I googled and found a similar case that had been solved
by increasing the socket buffer size. But it doesn't work for me. I think 8M
is a crazily large size :(

Thank you!