    SubjectRe: raid 5 with >= 5 members broken on x86
    On Feb 26, 2004, Linus Torvalds <> wrote:

    > Ok. I did the silly one-liner, but if the "don't care" approach really
    > improves code generation, feel free to send one that fixes both the P5 and
    > PII cases..

    FWIW, I think the silly one-liner is actually an improvement, since
    then we use a hardware register for the counter, instead of a stack
    location. I was concerned about not increasing the register pressure
    with the patch; it looked very tight already, and I couldn't tell it
    wouldn't be exceeded with some older compiler that failed to eliminate
    the frame pointer, for example.

    If that's the way to go, I'll post a patch that leaves the +r alone.
    If using a stack location for the counter could possibly be as
    efficient as using a register, I'd convert "+r" (lines) to "+g". Any

    Alexandre Oliva Enjoy Guarana', see
    Happy GNU Year! oliva@{,}
    Red Hat GCC Developer aoliva@{,}
    Free Software Evangelist Professional serial bug killer

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:01    [W:0.021 / U:13.816 seconds]