SubjectRe: /proc visibility patch breaks GDB, etc.
On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 12:09:59PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:

> > Andrew> What does `ls /proc/757' say? Presumably no such file or
> > Andrew> directory? It's fairly bizare behaviour to be able to open
> > Andrew> files which don't exist according to readdir, which is why
> > Andrew> we made that change.
> >
> > Excuse, but this seems seriously FOOBAR. I understand that it's
> > interesting to see the thread-leader/thread relationship, but surely
> > that's no reason to break backwards compatibility and the ability to
> > look up _any_ task's info via /proc/PID/.
>
> Well you can't look them up - you can only open them. But I take your
> point. In another life, these things would appear under a special
> /proc/magical_directory_which_has_dopey_semantics.
>
> > A program that only wants
> > to show "processes" (thread-group leaders) can simply read
> > /proc/PID/status and ignore the entries for which Tgid != PPid.
> >
> > Perhaps you could put relative symlinks in task/? Something like
> > this:
> >
> > $ ls -l /proc/self/task
> > dr-xr-xr-x 3 davidm users 0 Feb 26 11:37 13494 -> ..
> > dr-xr-xr-x 3 davidm users 0 Feb 26 11:37 13495 -> ../../13495
> >
> > perhaps?
>
> Well the contents of /proc/pid/task are OK at present.
>
> I guess we should revert that change.

Ah, so there was some fundamental reason behind that behaviour!
Perhaps then a comment or two in the code to explain that such
behaviour (prior to change) is intended in proc_pid_lookup()? That
way it will be clear that is intended behaviour.

Am I correct to assume though that the corresponding change in
proc_task_lookup() should stay? The existing behaviour there was that
one could do say,

cat /proc/<pid>/task/<tid>/stat, where tid could be any thread and not
a part of the thread group pid.

The patch that broke backwards compatibility for GDB likewise changed
that. It enforces that tid must be a part of the pid thread group.

--
Kingsley