SubjectRe: [Linux-fbdev-devel] fbdv/fbcon pending problems
From
On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 12:41:25PM +0100, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> > > That is true so far for fillrect and copyarea functions. Imageblit will be
> > > used for read and writes on /dev/fbX. Also it is used for software
> > > cursors.
> >
> > But if acceleration is not disabled you can't map the vmem and io regions.
>
> I don't expect an app that mmap()s mmio to read/write from /dev/fb* at the same
> time. So I see no problem disabling accelerated read/write while mmio is
> mapped.

Exactly, that's the whole point, if you want userland accel you must disable
kernel land accel. That's was my question against acceleration work inside
the kernel. Nobody use it in userland and is the stability devil in fbdev.
If you want acceleration in userland there is mesa-solo or directfb or console-sdl.

In short acceleration belongs to specialized libs not the kernel.

Why accel it is needed for font drawing?, i am pretty sure my 8bit video old
sparc doesn't have any accel and is pretty capable for drawing fonts.

-otto

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:01    [W:1.157 / U:1.468 seconds]