SubjectRe: IO scheduler, queue depth, nr_requests
Date
In article <403D02E3.4070208@tmr.com>,
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com> wrote:
>linux.kernelNick Piggin wrote:
>
>> But the whole reason it is getting blocked in the first place
>> is because your controller is sucking up all your requests.
>> The whole problem is not a problem if you use properly sized
>> queues.
>>
>> I'm a bit surprised that it wasn't working well with a controller
>> queue depth of 64 and 128 nr_requests. I'll give you a per process
>> request limit patch to try in a minute.
>
>And there's the rub... he did try what you are calling correctly sized
>queues, and his patch works better. I'm all in favor of having the
>theory and then writing the code, but when something works I would
>rather understand why and modify the theory.

Ah, but we now do understand why - it was pdflush and a process
fighting over get_request on basically the same device, before and
after LVM remapping.

See:

http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0402.2/1522.html

More complete solutions:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/linux-lvm/2004-February/msg00203.html
https://www.redhat.com/archives/linux-lvm/2004-February/msg00215.html

Mike.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:01    [W:0.465 / U:0.036 seconds]