SubjectRe: [SUBJECT CHANGE]: megaraid unified driver version 2.20.0.0-alpha1
On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 01:16:40PM +0000, 'Christoph Hellwig' wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 07:34:01PM -0500, Mukker, Atul wrote:
> > 2. Controller and device re-ordering on both lk 2.4 and lk 2.6. If this
> > is not desired, the driver code would be modified to make it PCI ordered
> > detection. The driver also re-orders the drives, based on which one is
> > chosen as boot drive. Matt, please add your comments here.
>
> This is a bad thing for 2.6, don't do it. For 2.4 just leave the probe code as
> it is there currently - any change during the stable series just confuses
> users.

I agree with Christoph here. megaraid is the only driver that I've
worked with that does this device reordering thing; none of the other
SCSI drivers we use regularly does, and it's not a feature that I've
advertised to customers when they come asking. It would help greatly
if the firmware could export unique numbers akin to SCSI inquiry page
83 for each logical drive on each controller, such that we could
actually use udev and friends well. I've asked for this feature for
several years, and I know it's not yet on the firmware roadmaps.

The list of PCI devices should be ordered in two buckets: ROMBs first,
then add in cards; secondarily, oldest to newest. We do this with
aacraid today.

Thanks,
Matt

--